Call to Order / Roll Call:
a. Meeting called to order at 6:33 pm by Paul Ash.
b. Present: Paul Ash, Dave Bossert, Randal Winter, James Zimmerman, Betty Griffin, Brian Toqe, Ron Mechsner
c. Absent: None
Approval of June Minutes
d. Approved by a vote of 7-0.
e. New balance of $2189.75.
Presentations to the Council
i. 2006 Town Council Election Results.
1. All 3 incumbents re-elected.
2. 54 People Voted – Results:
a. Gary Morgan – 20
b. Ron Mechsner – 41
c. Paul Ash – 43
d. Brian Toqe – 44
3. Rankings of Issues in Voter Importance
a. Public Safety
c. Future Development
d. More Parks
e. Incorporate New City
4. Motion to Accept and Certify Results passed 7-0.
5. Town Council expressed their thanks and appreciation to the Whalley’s for volunteering their time to monitor / staff election.
6. Discussion commenced regarding the disappointing turnout of the election on July 4th.
a. It was estimated that 5K attended the fireworks show.
b. 3 Articles ran in the Signal.
c. Dave Bossert highlighted the election in his blog.
d. Notification ran in the Stevenson Ranch Homeowners Assoc and Southern Oaks Homeowners Assoc. newsletters.
e. A request was made to run a notification in the Westridge Homeowners Assoc newsletter.
ii. Officer Election
1. James Zimmerman was nominated for Treasurer.
a. James was elected by a vote of 7-0.
2. Brian Toqe was nominated for Secretary.
a. Brian was elected by a vote of 7-0.
3. Both Dave Bossert and Ron Mechsner were nominated for President.
a. Decided on a secret ballot for President, with the other to take position of Vice President.
b. Dave Bossert was elected by a vote of 4-3 to the position of President. Ron Mechsner to be Vice President.
4. Paul Ash moved that the West Ranch Town Council bylaws be amended to support an annual election of Town Council officers. Motion was seconded and passed 7-0.
iii. Glenn Adamick – Newhall Land provided a presentation on the current status of plans impacting the West Ranch area – covering a total build out of 25 to 30 years.
1. River Village
2. West Creek
3. Area across from River Village along Soledad.
4. Town Center Expansion
a. 600K sqft – start leasing end of year.
5. Commerce Center next phase
a. Spring 07 start – 750K sqft.
b. Castaic TC approved.
6. Landmark Village – 1st Newhall Ranch Phase
a. Public hearings Fall 2006
b. Est. construction in 2008
c. 1400 homes, 1M sqft Commercial
7. Mission Village – 2nd Newhall Ranch Phase
a. Public hearings in 2007-8
b. Formal proposal to WRTC Early 2007
c. 5300 homes, 1M sqft Commercial
8. Entrada – Core West Side
a. 3M sqft Commercial (Town Center is 2.5M)
9. Legacy Village – Stevenson Ranch Phase 5
a. 2011-12 Estimated start.
10. Homestead – 3rd Newhall Ranch Phase
a. Just starting, 2+ years from hearings, 2012-13 construction start.
f. Parks and Recreation Department
i. Doug Newell thanked all of the volunteers and attendees for 4th show.
ii. Doug detailed Park & Rec programs for July / August
1. They are building an interest list for Girls Softball League – 3 divisions for ages 8 to 15.
2. Dog Training 8 week program from July 29 to Sept 16.
iii. Dave Bossert expressed the Council’s Thanks and appreciation for Doug’s support and assistance for the 4th of July show.
g. Supervisor Antonovich’s Office – Bob Hauter
i. Bob was not present.
h. Community Liaisons:
i. Randall Winters - Southern Oaks:
1. HOA meeting approved gating project.
ii. Brian Toque – Westridge:
1. Waiting on next steps for meetings re TPC privitization.
iii. Chuck O’Connell – Sunset Pointe / Enclave:
1. Issue raised regarding irregular postal delivery to the area – to be addressed with Postmaster.
iv. Stevenson Ranch HOA:
1. County / Park & Rec has funding to add tennis courts to Rioux Park. Funds specifically for that purpose only.
i. Bylaws Committee:
i. See item on Election and approved change in bylaws already documented.
ii. Discussion into spending more time looking at these election results and undertake efforts to increase voter turnout.
j. Public Safety & Security:
i. LA County Sheriff – Sgt. Wallace
1. Between 8pm 7/4 and 2 am 7/5 – 157 fireworks calls responded to by Sheriff Dept in SCV. 20 locations had materials confiscated.
2. More calls dispatched TY than LY.
3. Major increase in individual usage reported in SR – Sheriff Dept stepping up enforcement.
1. Estimated 4th of July Show crowd larger than 2005 crowd.
a. Traffic was better in some areas / worse in others. 4 officers present to assist.
b. Suggest another look at traffic plan for 2007 event.
k. Parks – Covered in County Report.
l. Government Relations
i. Homeless Shelter Task Force – additional meetings planned. Ron Mechsner to start attending.
m. No old business to address.
n. On / Off Ramps at Lyons and 5 are eyesore. Issue of funding.
o. Oak Tree dying at Pico and Constitution – Newhall Land to investigate.
Meeting Adjourned at 7:50 pm.